Pages

Jan 19, 2012

my study-for-the-Bar-exam incentive

I'm on a no-buy for the entire year, with the exception of special occasions. Therefore, I can't use buying a polish as an incentive. HOWEVER, I can use painting my nails as an incentive! So tonight, for every segment of studying I get done (2-4 hours each), I get to do something else toward a manicure: remove polish and soak in cuticle oil, basecoat, one coat of color, next coat of color, top coat (and anything else that may be needed). Those alone are 5 segments! It will force me to get them done within one day, because who wants half-painted nails with like one see-through, streaky coat if you don't have to?

One "special occasion" is that when I'm done with the bar altogether I get to buy a polish (but only if I feel good about the test. If I felt unprepared and like I'll have to take it again then I don't get to. But this is just more incentive to study!). I thought that I shouldn't need an incentive to study because the whole reason I'm doing it is to have a better life, and that's an incentive in itself. But then I thought of it as, I'm letting myself have fun, but only after I finish my hard work, just like you can only have dessert after you eat your vegetables. All work and no play is not good either!

Other special occasions include: getting a job (but I'll wait til the first paycheck), actually passing the bar, my birthday, possibly Persian New Year, and....that gets me through the first half of the year (that all ends by the end of May). And of course, if the money is needed elsewhere then polish comes last.

2 comments:

  1. Love a good incentive! You will do fine on the bar ( what state?!!) are you taking barbri? It is priceless... Worth every single penny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am! And WA State. It's so good to have someone who understands the hobby AND the daily toll!

    ReplyDelete