Pages

Jan 19, 2012

brand practice

In my last post I mentioned that I plan to treat myself to polish for major events/accomplishments this year.  I will note that I am seriously cutting down on what brands I buy.  Not only do way too many of them test on animals, but I just found out that many reputable brands are supporting the proposed SOPA/PIPA legislations. I believe their support is based on fake or overpriced sales of their merchandise online, but if the Acts pass then it will mean serious censoring of EVERYBODY'S rights on the internet.  (Besides, if companies want stronger security of their products then they can find another way to get it by using their own resources, not by causing a scary and hazardous situation for millions of people.)


I can support a company even if I disagree with its CEO's choice for U.S. President.  However, I CANNOT support certain practices, and censoring the internet is a practice that infringes upon the First Amendment's guarantee of Freedom of Speech, which is one of the two biggest freedoms America has to offer (along with Habeas Corpus).  The internet is the main way of communication and information these days, and censoring it is out of the question.  (If I don't believe in censoring books in a library or in someone's own home, why on earth would I censor something so much bigger?)  Not to mention the slippery slope that is sure to begin, as it opens the doors to more and more censorship.


For further information on SOPA/PIPA itself, as well as which cosmetic companies are supporting them, check out the following links.  You can also always Google the acronyms and see all the latest news (FOR NOW! RIGHT?).  It's actually pretty interesting to see the reactions.

U.S. Government List of SOPA Supporters
Forbes: SOPA/PIPA Details
CBS News: SOPA/PIPA Details
CNN: SOPA/PIPA Details

No comments:

Post a Comment